Use Your EU Citizenship to Obtain a US Visa

E-1 and E-2 Treaty Visas with EuroPassport

Many want a better life in the United States but worry they can’t make their dreams come true. They don’t have millions of dollars to invest, nor do they have any US citizen relatives.

However, some countries can make use of bilateral treaties they have negotiated with the United States which could help their citizens keep their dreams alive. Countries such as Italy, France, Germany and Spain have such treaties which open possibilities for their citizens not available to many others.

Close-up of passport and visa on an American flag

Introducing the Partnership between EuroPassport and Blue Lake Law

EuroPassport is proud to announce our partnership with Blue Lake Law. Through this partnership, we are able to expand our service offerings to include application services for E-1 Treaty Trader visas and E-2 Treaty Investor visas in the United States.

Through EuroPassport’s expertise in European citizenship and immigration laws, combined with Blue Lake Law’s years of experience and knowledge surrounding US immigration laws, we are able to successfully help those looking to start, expand or invest in a business in the United States earn their visa.

Who is Eligible for an E-1 or E-2 Visa?

Citizens from countries with a treaty with provisions for E-1 Treaty Trader visas are allowed to apply for a visa to go to the United States to start their own business. The conditions are:

  • That the applicant’s business will carry on substantial trade (the continuous flow of international trade or numerous transactions over time. It does not have to be trade of a certain value).
  • That the principal trade between the US business will be with the country they are a citizen of (The US business must do more than 50% of its trade with the treaty country).

The trade can be anything – Goods, services, insurance, technology and its transfer for example. Simple typical examples could be a French citizen who imports French cheese or an Italian citizen importing Italian clothing items for sale in a store in the United States or a citizen of Spain opening a call center which serves the US market mostly from Spain. There are many possibilities, including services such as banking, tourism and trade of software licenses.

Citizens from countries with a treaty with provisions for E-2 Treaty Investor visas are allowed to apply for a visa to go to the United States to buy or invest in an existing business and to manage that investment. The conditions are:

  • The applicant must have or be actively in the process of investing a substantial amount of capital in a bona fide enterprise (it must be substantial in relationship to the total cost of purchasing or establishing an enterprise, be sufficient to ensure that the applicant is financially committed to the enterprise’s success and large enough to show that the applicant has a large chance of financial success).
  • The applicant must have at least 50% ownership or control of the enterprise.

Examples of an E-2 Treaty Investor business could be the purchase of a farm in California, the purchase of a kindergarten in Texas or buying a restaurant or franchise in New York. Alternatively, it could be a Venture Capitalist investing a substantial amount of money in a startup or an entrepreneur investing significantly to join a new technology company.

Not only can immediate family members (spouse and children under 21) get visas to join you, but you can also employ people with the same nationality as you to be managers or specialists (use particular specialized knowledge) in your enterprise.

The E-1 and E-2 visas could life changing legal processes for those who wish to start, buy or invest in a business in the United States.


About EuroPassport & Blue Lake Law

EuroPassport Logo

Toronto-based EuroPassport Inc. is a company that helps Canadians expedite the process of obtaining European citizenship.

Our documentation and legal experts cut through the red tape and high legal costs, assisting individuals by locating relevant, hard-to-find documents required for EU or UK passport application.

Whether you need a passport for work, study, or as a legacy for your family, our experts will help you navigate the thorny path to approval, ensuring nothing is left out, and no errors are made that might sabotage your success.

Blue Lake Law Logo

Blue Lake Law is a boutique law firm specialized in US immigration law. With an office in the center of Amsterdam, Blue Lake Law is uniquely positioned to cater for the needs of our clients in the Netherlands and across Western Europe. We provide value to our clients by sharing our experience and intimate knowledge of US immigration law. We strategize with our clients to prepare the best course of action for their circumstances. We passionately advocate for our clients and are determined to give thorough, honest advice in every legal matter we handle while providing excellent customer service.

Ready to Get Started?

Interested in learning more about acquiring your E-1 or E-2 visa? Contact us today to book a free consultation.


2 St. Clair Ave. W., Suite 18, Toronto, ON M4V 1L5

+1 (647)-725-2552

Toll Free (Canada & US): 1 (877)-633-7967